Greek Kalamata Chicken with Orzo – Orzo is a type of pasta that’s similar to rice in shape, size, and texture. Whole-wheat orzo packs more fiber and protein than regular orzo, which makes it a healthier choice. Still, it’s fairly high in calories, providing about 50% more calories than an equal serving of white rice.
Orzo is a pasta variety from Greece. This pasta is much like a grain of rice in texture, in both shape and size. We recommend always using the whole-wheat variety of Orzo. This offers you much higher protein and fiber levels. Although this makes a health ingredient it is still about 50% higher in calories than rice. A 4 oz. serving of Orzo is 200 calories where 4 oz. of brown rice is only 111 calories.
This recipe is named for its use of both Orzo and the Dark Kalamata Olives of Greece. This is a dark purple in color. The olive is smooth and has a meat-like texture.
Orzo is commonly made from white flour, but it can be made from whole-grain flour as well, making it a healthier pasta option. The two oz. serving of orzo is 200 calories. This small pasta is a good source of carbohydrates; one serving of orzo contains 42 grams of carbohydrates and two grams of fiber. Kalamata olives are named for the city of Kalamata in the southern regions of Peloponnese, Greece.
Greek Kalamata Chicken with Orzo
- Large, nonstick sauté pan
- Slow Cooker, Crockpot or Instant Pot
- 3 3/4 lbs Chicken Leg Quarters
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1 Tsp Greek seasoning
- 1 Cup Fresh pre-sliced sweet onions Fresh pre-sliced sweet
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 8 Ounces Sweet Pepper Ring Sliced
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth 1
- 1 8 Once Tomato sauce Can no-salt-added
- 1/2 Cup Greek yogurt t ranch dressing
- 1/4 Tsp Red pepper Crushed
- 1/2 Cup Orzo pasta
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata Pitted olive halves
- 1/2 Cups Spinach
- Cut chicken in half, separating thigh and drumstick. Place in large bowl: oil, seasoning, and chicken; toss to coat (wash hands). Preheat large, nonstick sauté pan on medium-high 1–2 minutes.
- Place chicken in pan, skin-side down; cook 3–4 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer chicken to slow cooker.
- Add onions and peppers to sauté pan; cook 4–5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables begin to brown. Whisk broth, tomato sauce, dressing, and red pepper; stir into pan with onions and peppers until blended. Bring mixture to boil; pour over chicken. Cover slow cooker; cook on HIGH for 2 hours (or LOW for 4 hours).
- Stir in pasta and olives; cover and cook 30–45 more minutes until pasta is tender and chicken pulls easily from bone. Stir in spinach. Serve.
This recipe was adapted from Publix