Beef Curry Stew Japanese Style Recipe. This savory and hearty Japanese Beef Curry makes a fabulous introduction for new curry eaters. Made with beef, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and curry roux. Adapted to Japanese taste, it’s milder, sweeter with a stew-like texture. Even children enjoy it thoroughly! You have to give this easy recipe a try.
Japanese curry (カレー) is commonly served in three main forms: curry rice (カレーライス), curry udon (curry over noodles), and curry bread (a curry-filled pastry). It is one of the most popular dishes in Japan. The “curry rice” is more commonly referred to as “curry”.
Along with the sauce, a wide variety of vegetables and meats are used to make Japanese curry. The basic vegetables are onions, carrots, and potatoes. Beef, pork, and chicken are the most popular meat choices. Katsu-karē is a breaded deep-fried cutlet (tonkatsu; usually pork, or chicken) with Japanese curry sauce.
Please let us know how you liked this Beef Curry Stew Recipe in the comments on the website and rate it in the recipe below.
Beef Curry Stew - Japanese Style
- Large Stockpot
- Medium Pot for Rice
- 1 lb beef for stew
- 4 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp garlic spice paste
- 2 tbsp ginger spice paste
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 large sweet red apple
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 cups beef stock (or broth) no-salt-added
- 1/2 cup green onions presliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bottle white wine
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp soy sauce reduced-sodium
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- Chop yellow onion (1 cup); grate apple. Preheat large stockpot on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season beef with salt and pepper (wash hands). Place oil in pot; add beef (in batches) and cook 3–4 minutes, turning occasionally, or until browned on all sides. Remove beef and set aside.
- Add yellow onions to the same pot; cook and stir 4–5 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Add garlic, ginger, and apples to pot; cook 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until apple starts to break down. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring often. Add curry, garam masala, stock, and beef; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 45 minutes. Meanwhile, peel and cut potato and carrots into 1-inch cubes.
- Add carrots and potatoes to beef mixture; cook 30 more minutes or until vegetables are tender and beef is at least 145°F.
- Prepare rice following package instructions (during the last 20 minutes cook time). Stir soy sauce and sugar into stew; serve over rice, topped with green onions, if desired.